History

In founding the College in 1918 the Christian Brothers set out to establish a strong tradition of high academic standards. St Kevin’s was the Matriculation centre for all the Brothers’ schools in Melbourne. With its early academic success, the enrolment soon outgrew its buildings in East Melbourne and so the College moved to Toorak in 1932. Here it grew to a full primary and secondary school.

When the Associated Public Schools of Victoria enlarged its number in 1957, St Kevin’s was invited to membership. In the APS, College teams take part in a competition providing a wide range of sports at different levels of achievement. Hence, all boys have a splendid opportunity to represent their school, develop team spirit, and make acquaintances at other schools.

In recent years much development has occurred at the senior campus, Heyington, while the modern Junior School, Glendalough, has been renewed. Most recently a dedicated campus for Year 9 students, Waterford, has been established on Richmond Hill on the site of the former Vaucluse College.

In partnership with Loreto Mandeville Hall and St Peter’s Parish of Toorak, an Early Learning Centre has most recently been opened as an excellent venue for the beginning of the educational journey of 3 and 4 year olds.

The College has grown to 2003 students ranging from Early Learning Centre to Year 12. St Kevin’s is a leading Catholic school with a national reputation, a successful member of the Associated Public Schools of Victoria, and a proud member of the Australia-wide network of Edmund Rice Schools.

St Kevin

St Kevin lived in Ireland in the 6th century A.D. He founded a monastery at Glendalough, which became a centre of learning. The monks of Glendalough were famous as "Saints and Scholars".

St Kevin's Coat of Arms

The College Coat of Arms was adopted by Br. Kearney in 1933. The four quarters of the shield bear the Celtic Cross, recognizing our Irish beginnings, the Star of Knowledge, the Southern Cross representing Australia, and the book inscribed with Alpha and Omega (the beginning and end) symbolizing God.

Surmounting the shield is the crest, which comes from the Celtic Cross and represents our faith in God. Below the shield is a scroll bearing the motto 'Omnia Pro Deo' or 'All for God'. This is taken from a letter of St Paul. It urges us to see everyone as belonging to God and all our activity as directed towards God.

College Houses

The House system dates back to 1951, when the College community was divided into four Houses, each named after a Christian Brother associated with the early years of the College.

Br. J.R. Cusack, c.f.c. M.A., was connected with the College for 18 years (1919-1927 and 1931-1941). Br Cusack taught Modern and Ancient History and Languages. He was also a singer and musician of note. He died in 1951.

Br. J.A. Kearney, c.f.c. M.A., was Headmaster of St Kevin's for 5 years (1930-1934). He was responsible for the acquisition of both the Toorak site and the Heyington property. He designed the College's coat of arms. He was English Master, and also taught Music and Singing. He died in 1964.

Br. J.F. Kenny, c.f.c. taught at St Kevin's for what was then a record 28 years (1918-1945). He was Science Master for the entire duration of his stay at the College. Br. Kenny died in 1946.

Br F.I. McCarthy c.f.c. M.A., B.Ed., Ph.D. was Headmaster of the College in 1977 and was previously Head of Parade College, Bundoora and Christian Brothers’ College, St Kilda.  Through his vocation as teacher he has touched the lives of thousands of scholars over several generations. Br McCarthy died in 2010.

Br. D. G. Purton, c.f.c
. M.A., was Headmaster of the College during the difficult war years of 1941 -1943. He taught History and Languages, and although his stay at St Kevin's College lasted only 3 years, he left a lasting impression. He died in 1948. 

Br. P. A. Rahill c.f.c. taught at the original St Kevin’s from 1927-29 and at Toorak from 1935-49. He taught English and Literature and was known as a successful teacher of Leaving and Leaving Honours. Br. Rahill died in 1968.

The Houses are: Cusack (Green); Kearney (Blue); Kenny (Red); McCarthy (Light Blue); Purton (Gold); Rahill (Maroon).